By Progreso Network
Lesson 2: When and how often do farmers need to prune and rejuvenate coffee trees?
- Main pruning: Every year once harvest is complete. After rains an extra pruning is required to remove unwanted suckers.
- § Prune immediately after main crop (January and August).
- § Sick looking trees due to dieback NOT to be pruned until after following rain season. Prune only after the new growth.
- § Prune trees attacked by star scale immediately after main crop and strip off the crop and then cut off useless heads after recommended chemical control and apply mulch.
Rejuvenation: After every 5-6 harvest years. If the trees are left longer than this they will become less productive.
Recognition for the best method to use for rejuvenation
- Most trees have 3-6 main stems.
- Many of these main stems are weak – they grew in poor light.
- The main stems and branches are over-crowded; this leads to poor flowering and increases pest & disease problems.